September 12, 2020
- Over the previous two years, america has constructed a extra fruitful safety relationship with the Republic of Cyprus. Our two international locations are working to coach groups from Mediterranean international locations in numerous safety fields. For instance, the State Division’s Bureau of Worldwide Safety and Nonproliferation (ISN) has carried out a number of coaching applications within the Republic of Cyprus, primarily for Lebanese and Egyptian authorities officers.
- To increase this cooperation and to help capability constructing in international locations the place coaching is not possible within the nation, our two international locations have agreed to construct a regional border safety coaching middle within the Republic of Cyprus – the Cyprus Middle for Land, Open-Seas, and Port Safety (Cyclops).
- Cyclops permits america and our companions to offer technical help in lots of areas of security and safety, together with customs and export management, port and maritime safety and cybersecurity.
- The coaching facility consists of quite a few totally different coaching platforms, together with mock border crossing, passenger inspection space and cellular cyber safety coaching laboratory, permitting regional companions to study finest practices for securing and interesting vital infrastructure. Borderline, Counterproliferation Cyber Investigations.
- Cyclops helps our efforts to forestall transmission dangers posed by malicious regional actors and violent extremist organizations.
- Building and ongoing help for CYCLOPS is a real partnership. Whereas america gives tools, coaches and different capacity-building help, the Republic of Cyprus contributes land, facilitates journey and gives coaches.
- Building of the coaching facility is predicted to start later this yr.