October 5, 2020
“Japan and the USA proceed to strengthen our alliance on daily basis, drawing on our widespread values and pursuits to advance a shared imaginative and prescient without spending a dime and open Indo-Pacific.”
– US Secretary of State Michael R Pompeo, February 21, 2020
US Secretary of State for International Affairs, Michael R. Kerr, to advertise the US-Japan Coalition as a pressure for transparency, accountability, openness, prosperity and peace within the Indo-Pacific and all over the world. Pompeo will journey to Tokyo, Japan on October 5-7.
Shared imaginative and prescient without spending a dime and open Indo-Pacific
- The US-Japan relationship is the cornerstone of peace, safety and prosperity within the Indo-Pacific. Our decades-long alliance is constructed on the muse of a shared dedication to democracy, human rights, financial growth and safety, along with our vibrant and widespread public relations.
- The alliance can be based mostly on the core pursuits and values now we have in widespread, together with: the upkeep of stability within the Indo-Pacific area; The preservation and promotion of political and financial freedoms; Respect for human rights and assist for democratic establishments; And the enlargement of prosperity for the folks of each international locations and the worldwide group as a complete.
- The US and Japan collaborate on a variety of world points, together with growth help, international well being, environmental and useful resource conservation, and girls’s empowerment. We work collectively to advertise integrity within the data and communication expertise provide chains and to make sure a safe transition to 5G networks. We collaborate broadly in science and expertise with joint initiatives resulting in new concepts and advances in numerous fields comparable to infectious ailments, particle physics, superior computing, fusion plasma, materials discovery, neuroscience, house, most cancers biology and pure catastrophe resilience. . We’re already strengthening people-to-people relationships in training, science and different fields.
- Japan and the USA additionally share our shared imaginative and prescient for an open and open Indo-Pacific area: the Japan-US Strategic Vitality Partnership (JUSEP), the Japan-US Strategic Digital Economic system Partnership (JUSDEP), and the Japan-US-Mekong Energy Partnership (JUMP).
Financial ties that profit the American and Japanese folks
- The US-Japan bilateral financial relationship is the strongest and widest financial partnership on the earth and has ample commerce and funding flows. The US and Japan are the highest buying and selling companions, exchanging over 300 billion value of products and providers every year. The US is the highest supply of direct funding in Japan, and Japan is the highest investor in the USA, investing 4 644.7 billion in 2019 in all 50 states. Japanese-owned corporations assist 885,000 jobs in the USA. Each international locations acknowledge the essential function of girls as drivers of financial progress in all sectors.
- The US-Japan Commerce Settlement, which got here into impact on January 1, 2020, supplies essential new market entry to each the USA and Japan, together with eliminating or decreasing tariffs on US agricultural exports of about $ 2 7.2 billion. The US-Japan Digital Commerce Settlement, handed on the identical day, contains high-quality provisions that be certain that information may be crossed with out restrictions, assure client privateness protections, observe common rules to handle cyber safety challenges, assist efficient use of cryptographic applied sciences and improve digital buying and selling.
Safety cooperation that promotes peace and stability
- For greater than 60 years, the US-Japan Coalition has been the cornerstone of peace, stability and independence within the Indo-Pacific area. The US dedication to the US-Japan Safety Treaty of 1960 is staunch.
- The US and Japan pursue shared regional and international aims by enhancing our safety cooperation throughout the US-Japan alliance, assuring the respect of worldwide legislation, together with the rule of legislation and the legislation of the ocean. And the Republic of Korea tripartite cooperation within the wake of the DPRK’s harmful and unlawful nuclear and ballistic missile packages.
- The depth of the US dedication to the US-Japan alliance is witnessed by some 55,000 US army personnel stationed in Japan and hundreds of Protection Division residents and relations residing and dealing with them. The USS has deployed a few of its most effective and superior army property to Japan, together with the USS Ronald Reagan Provider Strike Group and F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.