Work begins on the Jozhila Tunnel, Asia’s longest tunnel
The tunnel will guarantee all-weather connectivity between Srinagar Valley and Leh in NH-1
By PIB Delhi
Work on the Oz Ozila tunnel at J&Ok started in the present day with a ceremonial explosion. This tunnel gives an all-weather hyperlink between the Srinagar Valley and Leh (Ladakh Plateau) in NH-1 and can result in an all-encompassing financial and socio-cultural integration of Jammu and Kashmir (now the UTs of J&Ok and Ladakh). It consists of the development of a 14.15 km lengthy tunnel at an altitude of about 3000 meters beneath the Jojila Cross (presently solely 6 months of the 12 months) at NH-1 connecting Srinagar and Leh through Dras and Kargil. That is probably the most harmful enlargement on the earth to drive a car and this venture is geographically delicate.
The venture was first conceived in 2005 and its detailed venture report (DPR) was ready by BRO in 2013 in BOT (annuity) mode. Efforts to award the venture 4 instances have been unsuccessful. The venture was ultimately awarded to NHIDCL in July 2016 for implementation in EPC mode. Its works are written by Me. ITNL (IL & FS). Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi laid the inspiration stone for Leh and began work on 19.5.2018. The work progressed till July 2019, and since then, Me. IL and FS acquired into monetary issues and the venture caught. Due to this fact, the contract was terminated on 15.01.2019.
Thereafter, in February 2020, the Minister of Street Transport and Highways Shri Nitin Gadkari reviewed the whole venture intimately. The matter was referred to a panel of consultants chaired by Mr Ike Pandey, DG (RD) and SS, MoRTH, to cut back prices and implement the declining venture on precedence. A workforce of consultants prompt strategies of venture configuration and implementation, to realize venture completion in a minimal period of time and value.
After correct session with tunnel consultants and different stakeholders, a bunch of consultants submitted its report on 17.5.2020, which was accredited by Minister RTH on 23.05.2020. Key options of the report embrace:
- Building of a two lane bi-directional single tube tunnel with no parallel development / escape route.
- Lower in development fines from 3 to 2 per cent.
- The design pace within the tunnel is 80 kmph.
- Z d-Morh is eighteen km from the top of the tunnel. All-weather connection between two tunnels.
- Modified value Rs. 4429.83 crores and this would cut back the journey time to journey by means of the tunnel to simply quarter-hour reasonably than the present 3.5 hours.
- Finishing up a complete plan of the Z ozila tunnel and linking the street from Oud-Morh to Ozhila with avalanche safety for all climate connections.
Modified configuration of the venture:
|Sr. No.||Key factors|
|Size||Jojila Tunnel Size = 14.15 km and Strategy Street Size = 18.63 km The whole venture size is 32.78 km.|
|Scope of labor||The 14.150 km lengthy bi-directional tunnel has no progress / escape route between Baltal and Minamarg. 886 km between Zd-Morh Tunnel and Jozila Tunnel. Blizzard safety buildings similar to catch dams, snow galleries, minimize & cowl, deflector dam.|
|Building interval||Jojila Tunnel = 6 years||Strategy Street = 2.5 years|
Map exhibiting the alignment:
On account of the approval, NHIDCL invited bids on 10.6.2020. On account of the technical deserves of all three bidders, the monetary bids have been opened on 21.8.2020 and the deserves of the bid. Megha Engineering and Infrastructure Restricted has been awarded the quoted price of Rs 4509.50 crore and the Letter of Acceptance (LOA) was issued on 25.08.2020.
The capital expenditure on the Strategy Street from Jozhila Tunnel to Zd-Morh Tunnel (18.63km) to make the street all-weather is estimated at Rs 2335 crore, in response to the DPR. The development value of the Jojila tunnel is Rs. 6575.85 crore, after contemplating an annual @ 5% enhance and complete capital expenditure of the venture at Rs 8308 crore from NHIDCL. Thus the whole mixed value of the venture, together with the approaches to the Jozhila Tunnel and the Zd-Morh Tunnel, will work to Rs. Now the Rs. In comparison with the present value of the built-in venture primarily based on the tender obtained at. 4509.5 crore, the whole capital value of the venture is Rs. 6808.63. Thus, after re-modeling the venture and making the most of built-in venture administration by separating the progress tunnel and using excavated rock materials within the development of tunnel boring strategies, Rs. 3835 crores. As well as the muck disposal drawback has been solved largely.
Significance of the venture:
(i) The development of the Jozila tunnel gives an all-weather protected connection between Srinagar, Dras, Kargil and Leh. From a strategic perspective all climate protected connectivity on the street is essential.
(ii) The development of the Jozhila Tunnel will result in all types of financial and socio-cultural integration of those areas, which will probably be minimize off from the remainder of the nation within the winter resulting from heavy snowfall for about six months.
(iii) A tunnel at Jozilla is presently a viable various for a full 12 months connecting street. The completion of this tunnel is a landmark within the historical past of contemporary India. That is of nice significance to the protection of the nation, given the truth that there are large army actions happening alongside our borders within the Ladakh, Gilgit and Baltistan areas.
(iv) The Jozila tunnel venture will probably be fruitful for 30 years of public demand within the Kargil, Dras and Ladakh area.
(v) This venture will liberate journey within the Srinagar-Kargil-Leh part of NH-1 with avalanches.
(vi) The venture will improve the security of passengers on the crossing of the Zozila Cross and scale back journey time from 3 hours to fifteen minutes.
- The venture provides employment to locals.
Jozilla Tunnel Security Options:
- There are emergency lay-bys spaced 750m aside on each side of the freeway. There are sidewalks on each side of the freeway. Emergency name nests and hydrant nests are situated 125 m aside.
- Guide firefighting push buttons and transportable fireplace extinguishers have to be on the disposal of all drivers.
3. The phone will probably be put in at emergency name places.
4. Hearth and hydrant kilns, fireplace extinguishers.
5. Tunnel lighting methods: Tunnel lighting methods signify an important a part of tunnel visitors security and meet the next necessities:
- Entry lamp (in residential sections at each ends of the tunnel)
- Inside gentle (by means of the whole tunnel)
- Lay-Bys Lighting
6. Video surveillance system.
- CCTV-cameras: Surveillance cameras within the tunnel have to be put in on the tunnel wall and earlier than and after the tunnel is put in on the pole. The info and video wizard are transmitted by means of communication channels. To attain this, transceivers and media converter have to be used.
7. Hearth alarm system in buildings
8. Computerized fireplace detection and suppression system within the tunnel
Linear warmth detection methods have to be related to the SCADA system by means of its personal management system.
9. Emergency phone niches
In line with EU requirements, there are emergency name nests within the tunnel and all lay-bys lower than 125m aside. Emergency factors have the next units:
- Hearth Alarm Push Button
- Hearth extinguisher
10. Visitors management system versatility